PDA

View Full Version : AHA2930-ST19101N Showing as "Asynch."

billbo
06-09-2003, 05:38 AM
Just for something to do yesterday, I decided to open Power Domain Control. I then noticed that this Cheetah shows up as:
01 Asynch(20MHz) Narrow(Narrow)

Where, the Barracuda (ST19171N, @Id #0-terminated BOOT drive) and IBM DDRS-39130D (Deskstar ES, 50-68pin adapted @Id#2 un-terminated) both show as 20MHz.

Granted, all these drives are in a external case and I know that all my cabling is less than Granite, but I know this drive is capable of 20Mhz, and would like to have it working that way.

Any ideas on why this is???

I'm positive that the only jumpers I've moved where to set ID-1 and disable termination (per the Configuration (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st19101n.html) page)

As much as I don't really want to take the thing apart, I have to at least disassemble my 9500 (SOOO much fun LOL) as I'm installing 256MB's of RAM this week. While I have it all apart, I guess I'll check the drive over, but I'd appreciate any insight into this anyways.

TIA

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

TZ
06-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Are you using a jumper on the last drive to provide termination? The last drive should have an external (active) terminator.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Mon June 09, 2003 PT at 6:43.]

BobMcWilliams
06-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Be sure to check off the Asych in the setup. This will set the SCSI bus to 5 MB.

Bob McWilliams

billbo
06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob McWilliams:
Be sure to check off the Asych in the setup. This will set the SCSI bus to 5 MB.

Bob McWilliams<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the quick replies Gregory and Bob.

However,
which 'setup' Bob? On the drive itself or in PowerDomain Control?

It's been some time since I finished "The Red Baron" (old Gateway Tower, gutted, with Candy Apple Red w/Iron Cross painted on either side) and I'm just baffled by the whole scenario.

It mostly servers as Backup Device #1, before going to Exabyte &/or CD-R.

So I guess some clarification is needed for a semi-clueless musician http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif LOL!!!

Gregory
On the Barracuda (ID-0) I have Term. Enabled, Term. Power from Drive, AND Term. Power TO SCSI Bus set.
I'm pretty sure this correct, but then again, I've been known to be wrong many-a-time.

PS-
If any of you Guru Forum, Rulers, Moderators and Code Compilers happen upon this thread, Kudos on the graphix finaly being figured out (just noticed this evening)!

I think we can all agree, the news about Gurus being back in the Biz in fall, is most wonderous!

You know, the old addage(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good things come to those who wait<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
and
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Slow and steady<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
do come to mind when passing thru the home page (I know, I know, I CAN come straight to the Forums, but I love reading and rereading those lines).

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

[This message was edited by billbo on Mon June 09, 2003 PT at 20:42.]

BobMcWilliams
06-10-2003, 07:51 AM
The set up on the controller is the one to check. The drive does not care.

$0.02 On the Initio boards we work best with the card supplying term power and no other device supplying term power.

Bob McWilliams