PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM upgrade in 8500

titanium
01-19-2001, 07:06 PM
What are my options for upgrading the CD-ROM drive in my 8500? I don't think it has any bays available that a CD-ROM drive will fit into... Also what kind of drive does it need to be; will any CD-ROM drive that is an internal SCSI work? Will game performance improve drastically with a faster CD-ROM drive (currently it has the stock 8X)?

Louie
01-19-2001, 08:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the layout of the 8500, but there was a poster recently trying to add a CD-RW and also keep the old CD player. He was saying that the second 5.25" bay had something blocking the full volume of the bay. He also was concerned about the bezel fitting the new device. You need someone who has actually done this on an 8500.

Just to replace the current player with a new one, all internal SCSI CD players will fit the top bay. They will all run off your Internal, 10 MB/s SCSI bus. You might have to modify the bezel because Apple CD's have no earphone plugs, volume nobs, lights, etc. on the front and use a remote push button. Most all other makes have all these bells and whistles. A third-party drive will require a third-party driver. About the slowest drive to be found now is 40X, going up to 52X or faster.

As far as making games faster; a new drive probably won't. I always install the max allowed of the game to my HD, which usually leaves only background music and boring, lead-in movies needed from the CD. Your 8X should play that stuff just fine. If you have games that require access to the CD for data, that's another story. Most don't with a full install.

This is not to say that fast CD players don't have their place; they do, but not necessarily for games.

You might find a gem on eBay. Look for the Apple ROMed 12X (which seems faster than that) or the real jewel, the Apple 24X SCSI from Mach 5 machines. The latter is fast enough for just about anything right now and you won't need a third-party driver. I just went back to my Apple 24X in lieu of a 40X Toshiba because it extracts music faster and is a hell of a lot quieter.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 19 January 2001).]

titanium
01-19-2001, 08:55 PM
I will probably go with the faster hard drives and not worry about the CD-ROM drive... The only disadvantage would be that it ould take about a year to install a game like Rainbow Six.

Louie
01-19-2001, 09:24 PM
That it might! Never fear, the 8X will fail some day and you can get a faster one. An 8X is a bit of a dog. I bought a used 7300 to upgrade as a gift. It had the Apple 12X which seemed petty fast to me. The 40X Toshiba was mostly extra noise and it was slow to spin up.

titanium
01-19-2001, 10:05 PM
What, you think I was kidding?

Really, Rainbow Six took over an hour to install!
Thanks for the help...but don't worry I'll be back with more questions.

------------------
PC... Profusely
Corded...Perpetualy
Complex...Primative
Computer...

magician
01-19-2001, 10:47 PM
hi.

I think Louie is right--if you do the full install onto your drives, there's not much need for a game to be hitting the CD-ROM.

that said, we have Plextor 40x in all the machines here, and they are very fast. When you actually sit down and compare them to the faster Kenwood 52x SCSI and 72x IDE, they hold their own, and they don't exhibit the problems with audio extraction that still plague those other mechanisms. That's why we still don't sell them. One of the primary uses for CD readers these days is extracting audio for MP3's.

we never have problems here playing games on any of our machines. In the 8500, you have one 5.25-inch drive bay, at the very top. That's the only bay in the machine that will accommodate a CD-ROM.

Thomas
04-14-2002, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...or the real jewel, the Apple 24X SCSI from Mach 5 machines. The latter is fast enough for just about anything right now and you won't need a third-party driver. I just went back to my Apple 24X in lieu of a 40X Toshiba because it extracts music faster and is a hell of a lot quieter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the Apple 24X SCSI CD-ROM still readilly available, preferred, and a good choice for replacing original CD-ROM in a PowerMac 7300??

Thanks!

Thomas

ricks
04-14-2002, 03:35 PM
I think you can still get them here: http://www.tdcurran.com/TDC/Results.tpl?cart=310163598476419&category=CD-ROMs&startat=1

Rick

Damien
04-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Hey Mag,

Do the Plex's fit with the standard Mac bezel in the Mac towers? I had a 7300 that a plex 4220 cdrw would not work in w/o bezel mods. I am now looking for a faster cdrom for my 9600

Thomas
04-14-2002, 07:46 PM
I assume all the connections (both SCSI and Audio and...any others?) are exactly the same on my original Apple CD-ROM and the Apple 24X ??

Thomas

ricks
04-14-2002, 08:29 PM
Hey.....That's a good question. Are the connections the same? I would guess the same way, but....I don't know that for a fact. One way to find out. I ghave to order one of those Matsushitas too. My 8500 has a burner in it that is just going to die out in my shop, a cheap CD-Rom is just the ticket.

Rick

ChrisYip
04-14-2002, 09:02 PM
They should fit - the only thing is that perhaps the audio cable may not match but otherwise, should be good - I replaced all my 7300 CD-R w/ Plextor 40X's...

Chris

M.Brane
04-14-2002, 09:56 PM
If your using OS9 you don't need the audio connection. Audio is read through the SCSI bus in OS9.

lasvegas
04-15-2002, 01:28 AM
The connections to the computer would be no problem. Even the sound cable can be replaced with a universal cable available at any PC supply store. BTW: My Apple 24X CD drive still plays its sound through that cable in OS 9. The drive becomes unavailable if I put an audio CD into my CD/RW thhough.

The problem here is if the front of the drive will match up with the 8500's front bezel. I really have never found a tried or true method of determining this. Every manufacturer seems to know the perfect front panel on a CD drive and none of them agree. If you stick with Matshita/Panasonic (The brand Apple used for Apple CD drives), you should have no problem matching up the bezel.

Thomas
04-15-2002, 12:46 PM
I bought an Apple 24X CD-ROM on eBay yesterday.

This drive was not from (or made for) a 7300 - will the face of the drive match up with the bezel correctly? (eject button, etc.)

Tom

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 21 April 2002).]