PDA

View Full Version : CENTRIS 610-UNABLE TO GET ZIP 250 DISK MOUNTED

Rein Ciarfella
03-26-2002, 07:02 AM
Greetings All!

First post in this forum, which seems very cool and useful!

I had a friend over this weekend with an (I know!) old Centris 610, for me to install RAM and a new MLB battery. I maxed out the RAM at 64MB and zapped the PRAM after the changes and everything checked out OK. I then tried to hook up my external Zip 250 to back up the HD prior to upgrading the OS but couldn't get a Zip disk to mount.

I had installed several utilities (TechTool, DiskFirstAid, MacCheck, Snooper, SCSIProbe, GURU, SystemPicker) via floppy, just to have something on the HD to clean house and analyze the machine. Snooper recognized the Zip drive on both SCSI address 5 or 6, depending on how I configured it. (SCSIProbe wouldn't work yet because the machine is still on System 7.1.) I tried switching the Zip's termination and SCSI address in all possible configurations, but still the Zip disk wouldn't mount. In case the driver which is mounted on each Zip disk wasn't functioning automatically I also loaded Iomega's Guest along with the other utilities and launched it several times. Still no dice.

My main question is this: Anybody know if I need to do some termination changing internally in this Centris 610? Logic tells me that if Snooper can recognize this drive on two different addresses, then termination must be OK, especially if it worked when I switched termination on the drive itself both ON and OFF. Something else going on that I don't know about specific to this machine or older 68LC040's? This Zip drive works perfectly well on my old Performa 575 and my PowerComputing PowerTower 166, both individually and in combination with both...

One other note: My friend mentioned that another friend had tried to hook up HIS Zip drive quite a while ago and had the same problem. I've checked Iomega's updated website, which has extensive troubleshooting info, but not found anything that would indicate why this doesn't work. Would the drive be recognized if there were Extension conflicts? The machine's gone now, but should I have restarted with Extensions off, just for the heck of it?

Thanks for any help or pointers!

------------------
RC

Damien
03-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Have you tried to format the disk?

Are you trying to mount an HFS + disk in a pre OS8.1 system?

It sounds like you have address and termination correct.

Rein Ciarfella
03-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Damien

Thanks for the quick response, buddy!

There's no question about HFS+ formatting. I have yet to use it for anything, although I'm intending to do it with my second PT 166 when I install System 9.1 on it.

I have several Zip disks, which work otherwise, which would not show up on this machine. Two that I tried are Rescue Disks, one with 7.6.1 and the other with 8.1, courtesy of Iomega's Rescue Disk Creation utility in their Iomega Tools, and they've worked in the past. I also tried a blank, formatted disk; no luck.

In answer to your next question, I do have a DiskTools 7.1 floppy, which the machine successfully booted into, so the machine's startup algorithm is correct...

Also, I might have installed the entire suite of Iomega tools except my friend didn't bring the caddy necessary for the CD drive (drat!). I did try bringing the Iomega init over on floppy and dropping it on the System, which placed it correctly. Reboot and still no luck...(damn!).

------------------
RC

Damien
03-26-2002, 06:06 PM
This used to work with SyQuest drives so you might try this (if you haven't already)

With the Mac powered off turn on the zip drive and insert a disk THEN boot the Mac this forces a load of the driver that is on the zip disk rather than any you might have installed in the system folder

Rein Ciarfella
03-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Damien

Although I hadn't thought of that, it certainly sounds correct and I agree it should work. I'll see if I can't get my friend to try it and let you know if it works.

------------------
RC