- MacPro2,1 memory must be installed in matched pairs.
as long as they are installed in matched pairs, those pairs may differ in size. ie: a pair of 2 GB modules and a pair of 4 GB modules.
- Maximum installed memory (32 GB) is obtained using 4 GB modules.
- 240 pin DDR2 667 MHz PC2-5300 Fully Buffered DIMM.
- Heatsinks are required to maintain reliable temperature range.
- If the computer is in its original factory configuration with only 2 modules installed, those modules will be in the inner slot of both top and bottom memory riser board. First step to adding more RAM is to take the module from the lower board and install it directly next to the module in the innermost slot on the upper board. All addional modules will be installed in pairs - next installed pair goes into the two inner slots on the lower board. The pair after that in the two outer slots of the top board. Last pair in the outer 2 slots of the lower board.
Apple has kindly provided a memory installation guide page specifically for the MacPro.